Starting on Your Weight Loss Journey
There are a lot of common myths that come with working out, losing weight and achieving that six-pack. Here are a few things to think about when starting on your weight loss journey. (muscleandfitness.com)
- Proper Diet. Exercise is really important when it comes to weight loss but you need to back up your exercise with a balanced diet. You can’t out-crunch a bad diet.
- Don’t avoid carbs completely. Our bodies use carbohydrates for fuel but be smart about which carbs you choose to eat. Choose carbs found in fruits, veggies, brown rice, beans, whole-wheat pasta and oatmeal.
- Not enough variety. Don’t limit yourself to one standard workout or your body may get into a slump. If you vary up your exercises, the amount of reps, add resistance or weight you will create muscle confusion will help you avoid hitting a weight loss plateau.
- Give your body a break. Just like you wouldn’t train your arms every day of the week without giving them a break, you need to give your abs a break too. They are a muscle and need rest.
- “Spot” training. Doing only crunches and sit-ups will not get you that six-pack you have always dreamed of. As mentioned above a proper diet is a key in addition to a varied full body exercise routine that includes cardio and weight training.